Monday, July 20, 2009

Dispatch from the Dominican Republic


I'm down in the Dominican this week documenting a program called "Lindos Suenos."
It's a Red Sox/Jet Blue sponsored program that brings a group of teenage American and Dominican ballplayers together. They split their time working in the community and playing baseball games.

This morning we visited an orphanage nearby called Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos. Aside from touring the facilities and photographing the kids in action I'm happy to say I had plenty of time to dig holes and plant shrubs behind the new baseball field that the Lindos Suenos group got started last year. We'll be returning on wednesday so that the kids can play on the field that they worked so hard to build and maintain.

I met one young boy at the orphanage who said he wanted to be a professional photographer (picture above). I let him use my camera and he took hundreds of photos. Most of them are out of focus, but I think I have a new best friend.

More to come on this trip soon...

1 comment:

  1. Mike what a cute little kid.I could see how you would get attached.
    Hope you have time to do some sightseeing.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete